Thursday, September 15, 2011

And another thing that makes me happy...

A friend on Facebook recently posted a GREAT list of things that make her happy. They included watching ice cubes melt as hot water is poured over them (who doesn' t love those swirls?!), ice cubes clinking against the side of a ceramic cup, and a few other randomly-wonderful little things we so often don't give a second thought to. Others commented with some of their favorite things, too. Someone listed walking up the concourse at a ballpark and taking it all in as you reach the walkway. This is definitely something I love to experience every time I'm at Wrigley. Someone else listed new socks. Totally agree. I wrote, "making fingers with my toes in the carpet"...

Any-random-thought-later, I really started think about these little things that we love that I think are so uniquely specific to each of us. Or perhaps they make us all a little bit nuts but what the hell? As I am accentuating the positive in my life these days, I figured I would give it a try!

I love those moments in the morning when my coffee is hot, my kids are still asleep, my house is quiet and the sun is just starting to peek up over the house behind mine. Those exact circumstances only occur about twice a year, but I live for those moments!

The way a freshly sharpened knife cuts through a tomato. Odd, I know, but I hate a dull chefs knife and I HATE when it refuses to slice a tomato without mashing in the top.

The sound of whipped cream coming out of the can.

The way baggy sweat pants envelope my legs on a cold, dark, dreary fall day. Paired with the perfect hoodie while sprawled out on the couch on a Sunday watching football and I am in heaven.

The scent, feel and sight of a bonfire on a crisp, mid-west, fall night. There's just something sexy about this to me.

The way water and oil don't mix in a puddle after it rains.

A fresh stack of printer paper. Crisp, white, flat and clean-smelling.

The smell of salt as you approach the ocean. You can smell it before you can see it and it is a smell that awakens every one of my senses and puts my heart at ease.

Baby toes. This may make me more happy than the ocean. Baby toes make me happy enough to bring tears to my eyes. I don't know why they do, but they do. More than baby smell, which is also amazing. Something about those tiny, wrinkled, curled toes makes me appreciate God, life and new beginnings.

Compared to the poetic way in which my friend on Facebook listed her happy-thoughts, my list is short, pathetic and definitely un-poetic. Her list; however, has made me more aware of the things that happen in my daily life that make my heart soar, if even for just a few seconds.

1 comment:

  1. Good list. I need to start paying more attention to the little things that need to be not-so-little.

    ReplyDelete