Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Foodcation...

So I stole the title of this post from The Blue Zoo because I like it sooooo much! This last weekend I took a Foodcation. Basically a Foodcation is a vacation where you eat and eat and eat, don't count calories and while I had every intention to run throughout my Foodcation, I did not. Here's the silly part-well there are a few very silly parts, but here is one- remember my post I'd Die For Food ? The comment I received was from JMK, 'member her? The wonderful wife of John, whose four member family was basically my second family and home growing up? Anyway-I took my Foodcation to St. Louis to visit her and John. And boy oh boy DID. WE. EAT. We put those competitive eating freaks to shame. It was awesome. Except today when I got on my scale and it read 10lbs higher than it did Friday before I left. 10. Pounds. Higher. EW.

Anyway, by this coming Friday I am thinking that number will be back to normal so I am not going to obsess about it (yeah right. You know me. I'll weigh myself 4 times a day and run doubles all week...sigh). What could have possibly made me add the weight a large infant to my physique? Hmmmm...where to start. Well, on the 6 hour drive down there I stopped for Subway. I ordered my normal veggie on flatbread...and then I grabbed a bag of Cheetos AND a...Oh-hush-my-foul-mouth...POP. Then I got to St. Louis. We started with chips and dip. Then we had burgers. After burgers they took me for froyo (no red velvet, but I still loaded it with all kinds of crap).

Saturday morning, in addition to about 4 cups of Kahlua flavored coffee, Joanie made french toast and bacon. The THICK french toast. And I drank OJ. I was so stuffed. After that Joanie and I went shopping in downtown St. Charles which is this historic little town that sits on the Missouri River. There are a ton of cute little shops, including this AWESOME olive oil and balsamic vinegar shop that, well, I can't even describe it because you'd just have to see it. There are about 30 different jug-like-vats that are full of different flavored oils and vinegars. Crazy flavors. Like truffle, lemon, Tuscan, chocolate, vanilla, raspberry, mint...the list goes on! We spent quite a while in there tasting different oils and vinegars. It was by far one of the coolest places I have ever visited.

We wandered into an Irish store at one point and I saw this coffee mug I fell in love with immediately. I was thrilled to discover Joanie secretly purchased it for me and later surprised me with it once we returned home.


Isn't it great?! After living away from home since I was 18 and moving myself and my kiddos back into the house I grew up in, I find this more than appropriate! I just love it and have used it every day since she bought it for me. AND it holds almost half a pot of coffee at once!!!

We also were in this shop that upon entering appears to be a bakery/coffee shop. Joanie led me through the place, winding through a very narrow hallway and two rooms before entering a room at the back of the building that was full, from floor to ceiling, wall to wall, of bottles of HOT SAUCE!!! I think my jaw literally dropped. It was so cool. There were HUNDREDS of them; I swear! And of course they all had awesome names. We perused this place for quite a while laughing (at times loudly) at the names of some of the sauces. I eventually settled on two different kinds, 'Screamin' Sphincter' and 'Hot As Shit Hot Sauce'. We left there and went to this cute little outdoor patio restaurant where we shared a plate of nachos that were piled with all kinds of delicious toppings. Joanie LOVED the thick sliced jalapenos (hehehe). For dinner we made beer can chicken (with butter boobies), had a salad of fresh mozza, basil and romas (which Joanie drizzled with some of the flavored balsamic from that awesome little store) and baked sweet potatoes that were each the size of a freaking football. Then we watched movies.

Sunday was my last day there and for breakfast we had omelets. YUM. I don't even think we had lunch, just snacked...on homemade guac and chips!!! We then spent all day deciding on a dinner. We planned to make big-ass pork chops, red potatoes with butter and fresh minced parsley, a GRILLED salad (uh-huh, I said grilled and salad) and a blueberry goat cheese pie that sounded truly sinful. We made an epic grocery list that included all ingredients necessary for the above recipes but also had Twizzlers, ice cream and crackers (because SOMEHOW 2 sleeves of crackers disappeared. I have NO idea how that happened. I think the Puglies had something to do with it). Then we're getting ready to go to the store and decide we'd rather just watch football and go into a vegetative food-coma. So we ordered in Mexican and watched football on the 51" flat panel-OUTSIDE!!! Yep. While Joanie and I cut up veggies and mixed up the guac, John disconnected the TV and hooked it up outside on the patio. It was freaking great. Really, really great. We watched the Cards lose to the Brewers (YAY!) and then moved the TV back inside where we watched a movie, the Packers game and just relaxed. It was exactly what I needed.

OH!!! And I cannot forget to tell you all about the two trips Joanie and I made to the grocery store this last weekend. Yes. Two trips because apparently in St. Louis you shop one days worth at a time. Or maybe that is just a John and Joanie thing ;-) Anyway, the first time we went to the store and were wandering around aimlessly, chatting and deciding what other unhealthy item we HAD to buy, the store manager stopped us with a, "How YOU doin'?" and very obviously (though I wasn't watching, Joanie said it was a little gross how obvious) looked us up and down...TWICE. Then the second time we went into the store, on Sunday, I was wearing my Cutler jeresy, Joanie was in a Bears shirt, too, and some balding dude started chatting us up in the checkout line regarding the Cardinals and Rams. He looked in our cart, full of junk food, and truly sounded like he wanted an invite to our afternoon food party. It was quite hilarious. I won't even tell you about meeting their new (tattooed!) neighbor...

I had such a truly awesome time. I was able to relax. Visit with people I love. While I can't say I have a fully restored soul, I can tell you it is really the first time I have felt at ease in a while. I can't wait to visit again. I think next time I would like to bring the kids with and see the city. I hear there is a lot to see and do in St. Louis...







2 comments:

  1. The JK Inn is open anytime - especially for foodcations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! I wanna KNOW about the tattoed neighbor!!

    ReplyDelete