Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things...

Remember that time I made a list of shit that makes me happy? Well I think its time I make another one, as I found myself smiling at almost everything today, despite the fact that my offspring are behaving like total shitbricks (a trait they obviously did not inherit from me). Some of these may be repeats from my last favorite things post, but I'm too lazy to go back and look that up, so, oh well.

Coffee. Hot, steamy, dark, strong coffee. It tastes particularly amazing at about 2:30 in the afternoon.

The scent of my babies noggins after I've bathed them. And I specify with after I'VE bathed them because I use products that smell truly amazing. Good shampoo, conditioner and shea butter lotion. Decadent.

Well prepared food. I don't just mean 'good' food. I mean well prepared. Where thought, love, attention and passion go into the preparation of it. One can make a very simple meal but if it is prepared with care? I swear it tastes better.

The smell of a good man. Not cologne. Blech. There is nothing more nasally assaulting that a whiff of 99% of the shit men my age seem to enjoy drenching themselves in. But soap? Laundry, bar, face, body. Just soap. There is nothing more intoxicating than inhaling the smell of a good, clean, man.

Peanut butter. The taste, the smell, the texture. Ok, so the FAT isn't too appealing, but who hasn't thoroughly enjoyed a spoonful of peanut butter and a glass of milk??? If you haven't, you're not living right.

Puppies. I know, I know. I hate kittens and their adult counter parts. I'm not even particularly a fan of dogs anymore. But puppies? Oh I just can't get enough of them!

Running. Outside. There is no better way for me to release tension, aggression,  frustration, excitement, anxiety, stress...all of it, than to get my ass on the move and pound it out on the pavement. I start every run with the one song that puts me into a meditative state of mind and by the time it finishes playing, my legs are warm and practically melting into the asphalt with every step.

Random texts about everyday shit from someone I care about. It says I am being thought of and there is nothing that lifts me up more than knowing I am on someone's mind as much as they are on mine.

Sitting at the bottom of the shower and letting the hot, nearly scalding, water wash over me. Its almost therapeutic and soul cleansing at times. I don't know what it is about the feel of the drops on my skin and the gentle sound of the water splashing against the tub that soothes me. I suppose its the same reason I have always loved to lay in bed listening to the rain.  Also why I love laying on a quiet beach in the sun listening to the waves roll against the sand. There is something almost sexy and definitely peaceful about the sound of water.

Well fitting jeans. I love a pair of jeans that fits just so.

Having my hair brushed, stroked, cut, colored...just touched, really. It ranks right up there with the sounds and feel of water. I love that my daughter is in a phase where she will sit and play with my hair forever if I let her.

The satisfied grunt-and-sigh that comes from someone who's belly has just been filled with something I've cooked. I am truly happy in the kitchen or at the grill. I love hearing that grunt from a full, happy, belly and the sigh that says, 'SATISFIED'.

Clean sheets. Period.

Happy Saturday morning, bitches! I hope you find as much joy in the little parts of your life as I do mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment