Friday, May 10, 2013

I always hate when I read a post or an article that starts with, "Webster's Dictionary defines (insert random word here) as...". I mean, I hate it in the sense of it causes me intestional agony. One of the most important and validated characteristics I hold myself accountable for day in and day out is INTEGRITY.

I value integrity on such an epic level that I have ended potentially awesome relationships because I felt the counter part in the deal lacked it too severely to continue. I think that often times the actual characteristic of being integral is mis-interpreted. So, with reluctant excitment, I present you the Webster's definition of integrity

 "firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility "

What I have always translated the definition of integrity to be is as simple as, "doing the right thing when no one is looking". I really adhere to this in every aspect of my life. I think Webster had it right...'adhereing to a code of...incorruptibility".

I wrote recently on the disconnect I feel from Christ these days. Thinking about it now I think what keeps me closest to Him is my sense of integrity. I always try to behave as if He is watching. And while I know I fail that notion daily, I know that no person is perfect. But I believe that because He lives in my heart and knows me as an individual, my efforts are met with grace and love and true appreciation.

It stands true to me time and time again that those I have known who lack integrity are the people who have spend their lives trying to be someone they're not. I don't find that admirable. I think the basic foundation of becoming a complete person and valuable member to our existence is being a person that does the right thing when no one is looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment