Wednesday, October 18, 2017

What people don't see, is an amazing thought. I see it all the time. And I think about it all the time. But I am going to be selfish, today. What people don't see about me, blow my mind now that I live in a "neighborhood". People saw me differently when I was living in a place that accepted section 8 housing, not something I was ever a beneficiary of, but was a member of that community paying full price. Now that I've gotten back to a single family home, I find myself in a more judgmental "community" than I ever saw there. And maybe one could argue race played a part, I was the white, single mom, that worked. And here I am the white single mom that works. Perhaps you don't see the difference. When the comma is used, I am defined by each of those things, individually. When I write that sentence, without any comma use, I am defined...as a woman, without stigma. Until I create my own. Because what I have learned NOW is being a white single mom in a neighborhood of white married families, isn't a pleasant place to be. I am not judging those moms, or families. I was one of those moms and the matriarchal piece of that married family, once upon a time. Now I'm not. The difference is, when I was THAT mom, I didn't get tagged on facebook as a imaginary figure. I didn't HAVE a facebook or know what it was. What happens NOW, is I get judged...because after I've worked and spent 4 years in an apartment, as a single mom, by myself...I send my kids to the bus stop alone. They have been doing it for 2 years now, and with a little further walk than the end of my driveway. Now that I have the home I worked to have, and they catch the bus at the end of the driveway??? I don't need to be there. My kids had BETTTER behave. And all you judgy moms that gather there every morning, please tell me if they aren't. because nobody will be up their asses more than I, should that be the case. And once upon a time a year or so ago, that was the case. My neighbor in the section 8 housing, that is a close friend of mine, called my kids out on shit behavior...AFTER she corrected them! And I applauded her, invited her in for coffee, and we talked about it. I cannot stand, and call this hypocritical, if you will, I cannot stand judgmental people. I did not move here to be friends with anyone, lets get THAT clear. I moved here with the man I love, into a house I love, that provided us with space we need. I don't need your consent to be here. I don't need your friendship, and I CERTAINLY do not need your judgement of what you don't see. You don't know me, you don't know our life. We take our trash out the day it is collected. We send our kids to school every day. We cut our lawn, we smile and say hello, we feed your kids snacks when they play with ours. We don't require your invitations, though youre OKAY with the kids being there. What we do doesn't work for you and I get that. But I don't care. It works for us. I'll do whatever works for use, until I die. Your judgment is lost on us. But we're the house with wide open doors. For your kids, for you, we're always home.

No comments:

Post a Comment